How to Manually Update your Hack Computer.
Today we want to thank Shashidhar, a Hack user who helped us discover a flaw in the system update process. While this bug did not impact the user experience, it was not allowing the computer to be updated.
We put a lot of love and effort into making sure you have a great experience with Hack. This product is designed for parents and kids who want to be part of a movement; one in which kids are not beholden by technology, but that can master it to succeed in what the want in life.
Your support and feedback truly mean a lot to all of us.
Now on to the flaw.
While this bug will be cleared up in our next release (coming out in the second week of March), we wanted to do something a little more “hack” to help you out in the meantime. So, if you want to use this as an opportunity for your kids to hack a little, here are all the steps for them to run a simple code in the Terminal App, and your Hack Computer will update manually.
Super cool, huh?
The code is:
flatpak update -y
(flatpak means all apps, including hack content extension)+ (update)+ (-y means saying YES to all updates)
Here are all the steps you need to follow:
If you are affected by the Hack OS saying there is an update and after you select
“Update” it still says there is one available. Follow these steps to manually update your Hack laptop!
1. On the desktop type in the word “terminal”
2. Once the terminal shows up, type in the command “flatpak update -y”
3. If you are affected by this issue, you will see the system search for updates and it will start downloading and installing updates. Once it's done, you will see the line change back to [your username]@endless on the terminal.
4. If you want to check if you are fully updated, you can type in the command above and you should see this:
5. After that is complete, restart your laptop and you should be good to go!